Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Welcome to my studio.

Those of you who know me, know that I’m a chef and have had 18 cook books published in the past 12 years. Those of you who just met me know that I’m also a knitting teacher and am going to have my first knitting book published on April 1st, by Melanie Falick at Stewart Tabori and Chang, KNITS MEN WANT. So now I split my time between the kitchen and my cozy knitting studio.

Stewart Tabori and Chang is also publishing my book HAM: AN OBSESSION WITH THE HIND QUARTER in March. How do I write and publish this much? Well, I do it with my partner Mark. In our cook book world, I'm the chef and he's the writer. About 18 months ago, we were at a meeting in the New York office of STC with our former editor Luisa Weiss and she asked if I had made the sweaters we were both wearing. I had made them and that led to a meeting with the amazing Melanie Falick which led to my first knitting book.

And just when you think it can't get any better, Melanie suggested we get Jared Flood (aka Brooklyn Tweed) to do the photos. We shot half the book at my friend Barbara's house in Bloomfield, CT, and the other half in Brooklyn. I'm knitting a few pieces for Mark from the book and I'll share them with you along with a few outtakes from the book along the way.

This past year I've also designed a number of pieces for ShiBui, including hiking socks and a dropped shoulder sweater made with their luxurious merino worsted.

You can find me at TWISTED in Millerton, NY on Wednesday nights from 6 to 8 and on Sunday afternoons from 1 to 3. There's always a theme (reversible cables, magic loop, etc.) or bring any project you want help with. And to add to the excitement, I always bring something to eat from one of my cook books. So call and sign up and I hope to see you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog. To avoid spam, all posts get screened and I will make sure they're up as soon as possible.
--bruce