Friday, December 31, 2010

Where does your yarn come from?

As much as I find the word locavore over-used, I do eat that way. Mostly, by eating local meat,
I not only know and support local farmers, but I know the animals: how they lived, what they ate, and how they were slaughtered. It's all important to me and I talk about how important it is to know more about your food in my book REAL FOOD HAS CURVES.

And as much as I can, I also like to know where my yarn comes from. Some factory in China?
Good to know. A native artisan in Peru hand spinning baby alpaca? Even better to know. What about tracing the yarn all the way back to the flock of sheep? Incredible -- and doable with Mountain Meadow Merino.


I discovered this at Stitches East in Hartford this past Autumnyarn from Laurel of www.handknitting.com. She offered me a skein of Mountain Meadow to try out and
I couldn't refuse. It's the merino of my childhood. The kind of yarn that my grandmother
would have loved, natural colors, soft and bouncy, and it just calls out to be knitted.
But best of all I know it comes from this flock at Camino & Sons KID Ranch.

I had one skein to play with and came up with this adorable cabled Yurt Hat.



To purchase this pattern, simply click the button

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this pattern, Bruce! What a versatile hat, and it shows off this special yarn so very well. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently visited an alpaca farm. Naturally, I bought yarn spun from some of the animals I'd just met. I like that feeling of being close to the source of the fiber.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog. To avoid spam, all posts get screened and I will make sure they're up as soon as possible.
--bruce